Friday, April 27, 2007

DX Tuners, RIP


This past week I received a sad email from Kelly Lindman, founder of DX Tuners (formerly know as Javaradio) in Sweden:


Dear DX Tuner Site Operator.

As you may be aware I founded and have operated DX Tuners with various people’s assistance for over 10 years with much satisfaction and fulfilment.

Regretfully, recently due to other business and personal commitments, I am unable to dedicate as much time or find as much inspiration as before in running the network and it is with much sadness and sincere regret that I have decided to wind up my business over here.

This has been a very difficult and emotional decision for me to take, having made many friends over the years, but after a good 20 years in the IT-business I feel the time is right to move on and try something else.

So basically I have two choices as I see it:

1. Get someone to take over the system including server and management.

2. Scrap it.

The second choice is not very appealing to me or anyone else, is it?
So...Is there anyone out there who you know would be able to run this system?
I will be more than happy answering any questions you may have.
I can give you a full description of the system upon request. Just email kelly@dxtuners.com


Today I have removed the ability to subscribe to the network. Hence there are no more subscriptions made. Also the Google advertising is removed.

New account creation works however and users get full access from day one as of now. The old subscribing system can easily be hooked on again if we find a new organisation for DX Tuners.

Please hang in with me as I hope we can find someone to take over the network as soon as possible.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely
Kelly Lindman
DxTuners founder



That letter was followed, several days later, by this one:


Dear DX Tuner Site Operator.

I have briefly been looking for a replacement administration for DxTuners and I have gotten a few offers. Thank you! However, I have found the platform too complex running without my help, so it is with much sadness and sincere regret that I have decided to close down the network.

You are free to shut down your hardware at any point. There will be no stand alone solutions provided by me or my company as we are winding up the business.

I would like to thank you all for contributing to the network over the years. 10 years is a long time and some of you have been with me for most of that time.

Again thank you very much.

Sincerely

Kelly Lindman
Sweden



My node DX-Pennsylvania (running an Icom 718) went off line on April 20. Since then I have reformatted the hard disk of the machine that was controlling the radio (which was running Fedora Core 5 Linux) and have closed the firewall port to that machine.

If you want to see what DX Tuners was all about, use the Way-Back Machine and check out the site prior to shutdown:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060424095912/http://www.dxtuners.com/

No comments: